Client: PTC, Needham MA
Problem: PTC wanted a redesign of their Thingworks Platform Configuration and Setup tools. New users were having difficulty with trial setup and configuration of their manufacturing systems to test the platform. This was leading to user abandonment.
My Role: PTC hired me as a design consultant to provide heuristic analyses of the platform configuration tools, make user experience improvement recommendations, and deliver UX Design wireframes, prototypes, and engineering specifications.
My UX Design focus was on the following areas (shown in the illustrations below)
- Platform navigation
- Toolbar and primary actions models
- Configuration save model when creating assets
- Model for removing and deleting assets configured
- Creating relationships between manufacturing assets and lines
- Configuration and definition of alerts within the system
Results: Prior to the updated designs user testing subjects routinely failed to accomplish their goals. most design usability studies showed improvement where 100% of the user research participants were able to complete the assigned tasks.